Cardamon is a spice we use a lot of in our baking, and is contained in many shop bought food products in Sweden. It makes everything smell delicious and tasty, so I was keen to try and use it in some cardamon bread baked over the campfire. The results were perfect, even if a little charred looking, and the smell was so tempting and aromatic.
Ingredients For Cardamon Bread:
- Self raising flour
- Optional is sugar if you want to sweeten it a little more
Method To Make Cardamon Bread:
- Put some flour in a bowl.
- Add some cardamon. You only need 1 teaspoon of this to about 1 mug of flour.
- If you want to add sugar in as well, put 1 teaspoon into 1 mug of flour.
- Add splashes of water and mix until the dough texture feels about right. You do not want it too dry (it will break) or too sticky.
- Adjust quantities of dough according to how many you are making. We used 2 mugs of flour and made 4 cardamon bread cakes, and 4 cardamon bread on sticks.
- Choose your method of baking. We used 2 methods, but prefer the stick method. To cook on a stick, roll out a sausage of dough and twist it around your stick.
Our trio were quick to rise to the challenge of being taste testers for the cardamon bread, as they smelt the aromatic scents waft towards them while they were playing with ice. It was the perfect afternoon snack to warm them up on a bright but cold and snowy afternoon, mid way through a hike.