Have you ever considered moving abroad? It is a huge decision whether you are following your dreams or moving for other reasons. Or are you just curious to see how others find it? I have put together a post about the pros and cons of moving abroad, making a balanced discussion both for and against.
The Pros And Cons Of Moving Abroad – The Pros
- This is going to be one hell of an adventure, bringing all the excitement that goes along with going on a big adventure.
- You will meet so many new people.
- You will become more tolerant as you experience other people from other cultures.
- Moving abroad brings to you a whole new place/country to explore with new travel opportunities.
- You will grow as a person from the experience as living abroad teaches you new things.
- You will learn about a new culture, its history, and maybe even a new language.
- It will be a new challenge.
The Pros And Cons Of Moving Abroad – The Cons
- You will leave family and friends behind. If you have children you will be asking them to leave their’s behind too with very little say in the matter.
- You may grieve the life you leave behind.
- It can cost a lot of money to move depending on how much of your life you are taking with you.
- There can be language barriers, at least until you get a grasp of the new language. Add in the time it will take to devote to learning the language too.
- You may find it a shock to settle into a new country, with a different way of living and facing new problems.
- Simple daily tasks (such a shopping or making appointments) can become very difficult and challenging to achieve, especially at the outset. Everything will take more time and effort to do.
- You are stepping right out of your comfort zone – there are positives to doing that as well though.
- You may go through a period of feeling misunderstood, especially if there is a language barrier or a different culture, and that could be quite frustrating.
There is no doubt about it, moving abroad changes you and there will be problems you will face as an expat too. You also need to make sure you can afford to live the lifestyle you want where you are moving to. In our case this was to Sweden. For us the pros have far outweighed the cons. Also, there will always be pros and cons to staying put……our biggest negative point to staying put would have been the “what ifs”. With our move to Sweden we have had our ups and downs, but mainly ups. We have learnt a few things living in Sweden, and a couple of rules for living in Sweden too. If you have moved abroad let me know of any pros and cons I have left out. And if you are thinking about moving abroad let me know in the comments anything that would be handy to know 🙂